For my book I decided to write an article on procrastination. I am finding this topic challenging so I have not yet started. This is why an article is needed! What makes us procrastinate?
I think much of what gets in our way is fear. We fear that we will never finish, we fear reality or we fear we never measure up. We ask ourselves–why begin? We tell ourselves it is better not to try then to fail—emotionally that feels safer.
When I decided to write my book, I really struggled with the fact that I never considered myself a writer, but when I began and stayed true to myself and my voice the words flowed out.
Procrastination costs us dearly. We either put off important due dates (taxes is a popular one!) or postpone something we really want to do, leaving us frustrated, resentful and stressed out.
There are a few things that I found helpful and it will work for anything you want to accomplish.
- Guidance: Find someone who can help you. You cannot do everything on our own.
- Structure: Due dates and a step by step process (there can be some flexibility here) are vital.
- Positive people: Surround yourself with those who are supportive.
- Accountability: It can be the person giving you guidance or someone else who is structured.
- Keep it simple: Easy step by step bite size pieces will work most effectively.
- Stay in the moment: When your mind drifts into fear, take a breath and bring yourself back.
- Praise: Each step of the way, give yourself praise for beginning.
Life is meant to be enjoyed and when take the baby steps needed to thwart your procrastination, great freedom takes its place.
Let me know in the comments below why you think you procrastinate and if you have had success in moving forward. Give this list a try and let me know how it went.