Improve Sleep: Technique #2- Breathing in 6 Steps
It is not only the quantity of sleep, but the quality of sleep that is important. Even if you have interrupted sleep, you can have a more restful night, and generate more stamina throughout your day.
A focused breathing practice will help. The benefits of focused breathing are:
- Quiets your mind, bringing you back to the moment
- Brings more oxygen into your body, increasing stamina during the day
- Lowers your heart rate and calms your nervous system
1. Lie on your back in bed, with a pillow under your knees and begin breathing through your nose.
2. Put your attention on your breath without judging or influencing it in any way.
3. Notice the entire breath cycle of inhalation and exhalation.
4. Notice where your breath is most evident to you:
- Is it the movement of air into your nostrils?
- Is it the movement of air in your nose or throat?
- Is it the rise and fall of your belly and chest?
- Is it the entire cycle of your breath?
5. Wherever it is, keep your attention there, staying aware of your breath. There is not right way to notice, simply be aware.
6. As you follow your breath you may notice your attention wandering to your thoughts. If it wanders simply and kindly bring it back to the breath.
Use this technique anytime you wake up in the night, or to get to sleep.
Let me know in the comments below how this worked for you. If it did not work, what do you think happened?
Posted in: Technique of the WeekLeave a Comment (0) →