When I go and exercise, I often see some who rush out right after without stretching and releasing tensions that comes with exercising. This is not healthy for your muscles. Many do not understand that lengthening back out has tremendous value.
When you work out, play golf or any other activity, your muscles are contracting and tightening, which decreases the blood flow into the muscles.
Doing some simple stretches will lengthen your muscles, allowing more blood and oxygen to move through. They will be elongated and heather.
I cannot give you stretches in a short post, but when you stretch out be mindful of this:
- Treat stretching back out as part of your workout and budget the extra time it will take into your practice.
- Direct your breath into the area that is tight.
- Have something to support you while stretching so you do not have to effort.
- Do not overstretch where you feel pain- you cannot relax into pain and you will intensify the tension.
- Stay with the stretch for a few breaths and allow the muscles stretching to release.
Let me know in the comments below how this worked. Did you find yourself being able to relax into the stretch? Did you breathe while stretching?