We spend a lot of time sitting, particularly when we are on the computer. We get lost in our work until the discomfort in our back gets our attention. Sitting for long periods of time strains your back, neck and shoulders.
It is important to take a break and stretch out with your spine going in a different direction from how you were sitting.
A gentle yoga stretch, rather than using force and effort will allow your muscles to release. There are many stretches and this one is convenient, easy to do and quite effective.
- Sit sideways on your chair with your feet under your knees. An armless chair or one with low arms works the best.
- Bring your hands on either side of the chair back or sides.
- Lengthen you spine using your arms and allow it to relax. Level your shoulders and use your arms to twist.
- You will twist in the direction of the chair back
- Twist from the bottom up. First, twist your stomach and waist, then your ribs, then shoulders, and finally your neck and head (do not strain).
- Use your arms to twist and allow your spine to relax. Take a few breaths and then come out slowly.
Let me know in the comments below how this worked for you. Were you able to do it without force? How did your body feel after?