I taught a sleep workshop the other day and the recurring theme was the inability to shut off thoughts. It seems to be an epidemic stemming from our busy, stressed out lives.
Many use medications to help with this problem, and even if they help they produce side effects.
It is a vicious cycle- less sleep at night, less energy during the day.
The twist below has many benefits:
- Calms the nervous system.
- Massages your internal organs, increasing the blood and oxygen supply
- Lengthens and twists the spine.
- Turn off the television and computer and try some bed yoga. It is a simple twist and the benefits are:
- Lie on your back with your head level, and bring your knees to your chest.
- Hold your knees and roll over to the right side, keeping your knees bent at a right angle and let them rest on the bed.
- Slide your left hand to your waist and allow your elbow to rest back, creating a gentle twist to your spine. You can lengthen your arm out beside you, if that is comfortable. If your knees come apart, put a pillow between them.
- Your head will turn toward the right side.
- Stay here for 2-4 minutes noticing your breath, and then do other side.
*If this in any way hurts, come out of pose.
Let me know in the comments below how this works for you. Were you more relaxed going to sleep? Was your mind quieter? If it did not help, what do you think happened?