This June 2011 article in Sky Magazine sites the intervention of CEOs on the devastating effects of cancer. The workplace is now included in the battle to reduce cancer’s impact.
The American Cancer Society highlights a few interesting facts:
- About 1.5 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year in the US
- Cancers caused by cigarette smoking and heavy use of alcohol could be prevented completely.
- The overall cost of cancer per year in the US is approximately $264 billion.
These numbers are staggering.
CEOs are implementing lifesaving health initiatives at work. Beside the cost of cancer treatment, the cost to businesses is as follows:
- $18.8 billion in lost productivity due to illness
- $116.1 billion in lost productivity due to early death
The article sites the good news: More than half of all cancers can be prevented through healthy lifestyle choices. Many corporations are paying incentives for employees to participate in healthy living programs. Studies were done on participating employees and the overall health improved dramatically.
Patrick Geraghty, President and CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota states: “We have to make wellness something that businesses are focused on, because we spend so much time in the workplace.”
All Custom Calm techniques improve overall health and well-being and are designed to practice at work. Everyone who chooses to be proactive about their mental and physical heath can use simple tools that take little time. The results are powerful.
With the of illness and stress in our lives, it is encouraging to know Corporate America is placing high value on complimentary health.