Lumbar Spine: 8 Interesting Facts
When clients come to me with back pain, it is usually in the lumbar area of their spine. The lumbar area is in the lowest part of the spine, just above your sacrum and is most subject to injury.
Here are some interesting facts about lumbar pressure in various positions:
- Sitting hunched over a desk- 200 lbs.
- Sitting leaning back on chair with low back rounded- 150 lbs.
- Sitting upright with feet elevated- 100 lbs.
- Standing with leaning forward posture- 200 lbs.
- Standing in proper alignment:– 100 lbs.
- Laying flat on back- 55 lbs.
- Laying flat on back with knees elevated- 25lbs.
There are easy ways to take pressure off of the lumbar spine and with the differences in compression and pressure, you can see how modifications to standing, sitting and lying down can make a big difference.
The first step is to become mindful and aware of how you are using your body. Let me know in the comments below what you noticed about your posture throughout your day.
*Rehabilitation of the Spine: A Practitioner’s Manual.
Posted in: A Calm PerspectiveLeave a Comment (0) →