Yoga: 5 Ways to Tell if you are Overdoing
A recent article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution focused on injuries while practicing yoga.
The main reason is we push beyond our limitations because we pay attention only to our thoughts. Our body has infinite wisdom, and the practice of yoga is to stay in awareness from the inside-out. Being aware means noticing what the mind is telling you and checking in with your body.
Your body will tell you the truth and your mind will tend to judge.
At times it is difficult to know whether you are pushing too much or you are really able to go a bit further. Here are a few simple tips that will help.
- If you are comparing yourself to someone else, chances are you are overdoing it.
- If you are going further because a teacher told you to, you are not listening to your body.
- If you cannot breathe into the pose when it is painful, then back out.
- If you feel a stretch and you can breathe and relax into it, then you are okay.
- If you feel a stretch and when you take an easy breath and you cannot release and go deeper, then you should ease out a bit.
Let me know in the comments below what you noticed. Did you push beyond your limitations? If so, why do you think that happened?
Posted in: Technique of the WeekLeave a Comment (0) →