Balance and bone strength is an issue for many of us. Some of us can not participate in any high impact exercise, but learning to lean through your bones for support will help.
Yoga's Mountain Pose has many applications and you can use it as a way to improve balance and bone strength.
- Stand with your feet parallel to one another about hip width apart with your spine upright and if possible allow the sides of your feet to be parallel as well.
- Look straight ahead with a soft gaze.
- Bring your awareness to the connection to your feet on the floor and notice the distribution of your weight.
- Shift your weight into your left foot as if it was making an imprint in the sand.
- Allow your body to let go into that side (your other foot is on the floor). Stay with this for about 20 seconds.
- Now, come back to center and notice if that leg is more connected to the floor.
- Do the other side and then come back to center.
This is a great practice to help those wanting to improve balance or bone density as well as overall bone health. It is also a wonderful way to draw your awareness back to the moment when you are feeling stressed.
Do you feel more stable as you stand? Are you heavier into the floor? Let me know in the comments below what you noticed.