Body awareness helps to bring you back to the present moment. Among the numerous benefits are- physical and emotional relaxation, decrease in pain, lower stress, calming to the nervous system.
The body scan It is quite effective to use at night when you cannot sleep.
Try this short Body Scan: If you cannot feel any part of your body, imagine the specific area. Let go of judgment and simply notice and breathe naturally into each area.
- Notice your toes and the spaces between your toes.
- Notice your feet including your arches, tops of your feet and heels.
- Notice your lower legs, knees and knee creases and thighs.
- Notice your hips and across your pelvis.
- Notice your belly and the rise and fall of your belly.
- Notice your chest, across your shoulder and collar bones.
- Notice your back, including your shoulder blades, ribs and the entire back.
- Notice your hands, including your fingers, tops and palms of your hands.
- Notice your arms up through your underarms and shoulders.
- Notice your neck, including your throat.
- Notice your face, including your eyes, nose mouth and around to your ears.
- Notice your head, including the top sides and back of your head.
- Now notice and breathe throughout your entire body, from your feet through your head for a few moments.
Let me know in the comments below how this went. What effect did it have on you? If you could not do it, what do you think happened?