The purpose of meditation is to relax the body and quiet the mind. Think of your mind as a jar full of liquid. If you keep pouring more in it will overflow, making a big mess.
First we need to clear our thoughts so we have an empty vessel to reset our attitudes and outlooks.
Meditation is simple, but not easy. Simple, because all you do is concentrate on a single point to focus. Not easy, because the minute you try to quiet your mind, you see just how crazy it is!
Every morning, try this for a few minutes:
- Get in a comfortable position- it can be a chair, the floor, or the bed (dangerous as you will probably meditate yourself to sleep!)
- Focus on your breathing, without changing it in any way- simply notice you are breathing
- Find the most noticeable part of your breathing cycle: For example-The expanding and relaxing of your belly, the breath moving in and out through your nose, or your full breathing cycle.
- Keep focused on that area.
- If your mind gets busy, gently and kindly guide it back to focusing on your breath.
- Practice this daily and work your way up to 5 minutes.
- Keep practicing, even if you do not think it is helping. I promise, it will!
Let me know how this worked for you. If you did not even try to do it, what do you think is stopping you?