Definitions of the word think:
- To have or formulate in the mind.
- To reason about or reflect on; ponder.
- To decide by reasoning, reflection, or pondering.
- To judge or regard; look upon.
- To believe; suppose.
All of these definitions have one thing in common: They are all filtered through our minds and are layered with our perceptions.
Our thoughts create reactions. Sometimes we feel guilty about our thought, obsess on our thought or believe strongly that our thought is the only way to see things. No matter which it is, our inner peace is disturbed.
Our thoughts are not reality. They come and at some point they pass.
One of my teachers had such a simple solution to help us get beyond taking our thoughts so seriously.
Try this the next time you are obsessing on a thought:
- Notice the thought, take a breath and say: It’s just a thought…
Let me know in the comments below how this worked for you. Did it help shift you thinking? If not, what do you think got in your way?